26 N Macdonald
Mesa, AZ 85201
The Post is the historic post office located at 26 N MacDonald. The original building was built in 1936 and was eventually expanded in 1960. This was the historic Post office until around 1980, when demands required a larger building and the Post Office moved to its current home at the northeast corner of Pepper and 1st.
The Historic Post office became a Federal building and housed offices for the US Forest Service, US Fish and Wildlife, ATF and other federal agencies until the building was granted to the City of Mesa in 2002. The Federal Building has stored museum artifacts in the basement and otherwise was mostly unused while the City planned and raised funding for critical repairs.
In 2018, Mesa voters approved a 7.4 million bond issue to convert the building into a dynamic community event space called The Post. The first floor will provide an open, programable space. The south side of the building has a second floor and mezzanine where there are currently plans for office space and a conference room space.
Improvements will include all utilities, the elevator, stairs, new roofs, HVAC, mechanical improvements, a sprinkler system for the building, flooring improvements, restrooms, and bringing the building up to meet code requirements.